Friday, December 3, 2010

My OCD Types: Numbers...1,2,3...1,2,3...1,2,3

So, numbers. I am not even sure where to begin with them. They show up in so many ways in my life. Of course, they are fairly present in everyone's life, but in mine, they seem to have way more significance than they should. For instance, the number 3 is a major source of comfort and stress for me. Many of my compulsions have to be carried out in sets of 3. Either 3 times, or 6 times, or 12 times. You get the picture. This isn't always, but much of the time. I switch light switches on and off 3 times when checking them. I end sentences with 3 exclamation points or type 3 periods between thoughts. I stare at the water faucet and count "...1,2,3...1,2,3...1,2,3..." in my head until I feel comfortable about it being turned off. Many times, when I am just doing mundane things like washing my hands or cleaning something up, I will count the 3s in my head. Like I said, it is both a comfort and a stressor. Which means, it sucks!!!

Another place where numbers hold more significance than they should is in TV or radio volumes. I do not like my TV to be at certain volumes, because the number isn't right. For instance, it can be at volume 10, but it cannot be at volume 9. With volumes I tend to like even numbers and multiples of 5. You would not likely find me with the volume set at 3. This number logic also holds true on a treadmill or similar device. I will be fine with using the treadmill at 3.5 or 4.5 mph, but I will not use it at 3.3 or 4.2 mph. 

Along with things needing to be certain numbers or needing to be done in a certain number of times, I find that I am concerned with numbers in other ways. For instance, with birthdates, phone numbers, addresses, etc. My birthdate is 12/27/77. I like this birthdate. In my mind, the numbers of this birthdate go together well. My husband's birthdate is 5/20/76. This is an okay birthdate, I would much prefer it be 1975 though. Then the numbers would fit better in my mind. My son's birthday is 7/19/09. This birthday has left me a little bewildered, but I have come to like the way the numbers fit. The 19 and the 9 were troublesome to me for a bit. But I like that 19 and 9 seem to fit together and 7, to me, is one of the best numbers. Seems completely insane, doesn't it. But, hey, that's me and that's my OCD!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sis', Daddy & I totally care. Hope you get your meds worked out and we would not be humorous about anything so serious. You know that...including your text'd information. We are trying to be discrete about what we post on this site. Hope your day goes good. We still have much snow. Love Mom & Daddy

    ReplyDelete